Oregon Poetry Association
Fall 2017 Poetry Contest
Deadline: September 1, 2017
Submissions open: July 15, 2017
Limit: one entry per category.
Spaces between stanzas do not count as lines.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will be published on the OPA website and in OPA’s annual anthology, Verseweavers
1) Poet’s Choice: Limit 80 lines, any subject, any form. Judge: Joe Wilkins
2) Members Only: Limit 20 lines, any subject, any form. Entrant must be OPA member in good standing (see below). Judge: Pepper Trail
3) New Poets: Limit 30 lines, any subject, any form. Open to poets who have never received any kind of award (first, second or third place, or a cash prize) for a poem. Judge: Lisa Allen Ortiz
4) Traditional Form – Villanelle: Traditionally 19 lines (but modern variations are welcome), any subject. Judge: Judith Montgomery
5) Theme – Current Events: Limit 40 lines, any form, on subject of "current events." Judge: Shaindel Beers
Poet’s Choice: First place $100; Second place $50; Third place $30; 3 honorable mentions.
All other categories: First place $50; Second place $30; Third place $20; 3 honorable mentions.
OPA Members—Flat rate of $7 for up to five poems (limit of one poem per category).
Non-members—Flat rate of $15 for up to four poems (limit of one per category).
Deadline: Submitted electronically or postmarked before or on September 1, 2017
Fall 2017 Poetry Contest Rules
- Poems must be your original work, unpublished in print or online, and cannot have been a prior winner in any contest. Appearance on personal websites, blogs, Facebook pages, or critique groups does not constitute publication. OPA has first publication rights for prizewinning poems.
- You may enter one poem in each category, a different poem in each, without duplication.
- Simultaneous submissions are encouraged, but entry fees are non-refundable. If your poem is accepted elsewhere, notify OPA immediately via Submittable, or contact contest chair at http://oregonpoets.org/contacts/contests-adult-contest-chair or by mail (address below) to withdraw your poem.
- Format poems in 10- to 12-point font size, Times New Roman or another standard typeface.
- Online submissions at http://OPA.submittable.com are preferred. The submission title is optional. In the comments field, please include your bio (third person, 75 words or less). In the upper-right corner of every page in your submission, indicate category and your poem’s line count. Your name or contact information should not appear on the poems. If entering in multiple categories, all poems must be submitted in a single document. Please use .doc or .docx format.
- If unable to submit online, please submit two copies of each poem, one with your name and contact information and one without. On both copies, indicate category and your poem’s line count in the upper-right corner. Mail your entries by September 1, 2017 (postmark) to: OPA, Contest Entries, P.O. Box 14582, Portland, OR 97293. Entries will not be returned. Mailed entries must include a cover sheet with the poet’s name, bio (third person, 75 words or less), contact information, a list of poem titles, and a check to cover your entry fee payable to Oregon Poetry Association. An email address is required for all entries. No registered or certified mail, please.
- If you join OPA at the time you enter, you are eligible for the Member rate, and for the Members Only category. (Please use the OPA Membership option in Submittable prior to making your contest submission or mail your dues to OPA, P.O. Box 14582, Portland, OR 97293). Include a note in your contest entry stating that you have joined OPA.
- Poems may not be edited and re-submitted; your submission is final.
- Members Only category: A postcard is mailed from OPA in February notifying you whether your membership is current or needs to be renewed. For questions regarding membership, contact Membership Chair at http://oregonpoets.org/contacts/contact-membership-chair.
- You may submit up to five poems, limited to one poem per category (up to four poems for non-members). OPA members pay a flat rate entry fee of $7. Non-members pay a flat rate of $15.
- Winners will be notified in October 2017. First, second, and third place poems will be published on the OPA website and in Verseweavers, OPA’s annual anthology. All rights revert to author after publication. OPA reserves the right to use prize-winning poems on the OPA website, on membership forms, etc.
- Submissions not conforming to these rules will be disqualified.